Sunday, January 07, 2007

Major Recap

Ok, so we have been just a little busy. Christmas lasted for 3 days, visiting all our various friends and family. It was fun, but I am very glad it is over. Following Ryan around in different houses with all the new 'no,no's' was tiring! Ryan ended up with some very cool toys.

So now to the job front: I was to be in Alaska on 1/15, but after figuring out that they weren't going to pay quite what I had expected, it turned out the trip was not worth it once all of the expense for the trip was deducted. Therefore, we have ended up in Fox Lake, WI, 'we' being Ryan, Lori, and me. I got the call on tues. at 4:30 p.m. to pack my bags and be here for 1/8. Since I knew I was driving here, that was pretty much a last minute deal for me. I got new tires for the car, packed the bags, and gathered as much stuff as I could that would hopefully make our stay for the next 13 weeks as comfortable as possible. I was told that this was a fully furnished cottage I was going to, but what does 'fully furnished' really mean? For some, it is furniture and cooking utensils, but no bedding, cleaning supplies, etc. We had no idea what to expect. We packed a few things that were unnecessary, but not much. After unloading the cramped car, we found how little we really did bring. But I think it will work out nicely. I will hopefully post some pics later this afternoon so all can see. We are maybe 20 ft from the lake, with our bay window looking out to it. It is absolutely gorgeous! The only sad/good part is no snow. I am grateful I didn't have to drive in snow to get here, but I think it would be beautiful.

Now, to recap the journey here. Starting the night before I left home (tues night), Ryan did not sleep worth anything. So I began the drive on minimal sleep and a cranky kid. We had to go say goodbye to a couple friends and then up to Daddy's work for a last goodbye to him. Then on the road for many, many hours. We started about 10:45 a.m., and arrived at Betsy/Mom's at 8:40 p.m. Now, for those of you who have had the pleasure of traveling with small children, those hours seemed to last FOREVER! Ryan cried most of the trip, and there was no good place along the way to let him play and stretch his legs. I did the best I could at gas stations and what not, but suffice to say, its not the cleanest or most kid friendly environment. I tried hard to find a McDonald's with a play area, but to no avail. So by the time I got there, I was exhausted, my butt hurt, and I believe Ryan echoed those sentiments. Once there, I got to enjoy the new baby with Betsy, and help Betsy out as best I could. I don't think I did much for her, but I tried. Then the gang headed out thurs at 10:30 a.m. for the 12 hr trip up here to WI. After pulling out of the drive and going a whole 2 blocks, Marcie gets pulled over for speeding. Yes, that's right. 2 blocks, and the lights and whirring. The officer was nice, but I just knew a ticket was headed my way. I never get out of them. He informed me that I was going 36mph in a 25 mph zone. I had NO IDEA that it was 25!!! Its not like I was driving irresponsibly or anything. And I thought 35 or so was a good speed for the area. Guess not. I didn't end up with a ticket, thank goodness, and bless the officer that decided to have mercy on us before our trip even started. Ryan thankfully did much better for this trip. He took 2 naps and only fussed a couple of times right before we were going to stop anyway. In St. Louis we found a McDonald's with a play area that was a great break for us all. We finally made it up here around 11:30 p.m. and after some shady directions, found the house. Lori and I unloaded as quick as we could while Ryan slept, and then put a few things away before crashing ourselves. Yesterday was the eventful trip to Wal-Mart, buying everything but a kitchen sink! Ok, not really, but it wasn't quite as cheap as I would have liked. Today we go to find the hospital I will be at tomorrow. A little nervous about the new job, but I hope I can grow to like it, and enjoy our stay. Ryan and I both miss Daddy very much, but Aunt Lori is doing a good job of keeping us entertained. She's hilarious!

1 comment:

CL said...

Wisconsin! Wow, that's a long way from home. So how does that work? Is it like a temporary nurse gig?

Hope all is going well.

And the kid looks adorable.